Mattha is a favourite Maharashtrian summer drink that is nothing but a spiced buttermilk. It is typically served after your meal as it helps to cools down the body and also improves digestion. Ingredients like ginger, cumin seeds that are known for its healthy benefits goes into this buttermilk along with yogurt. It is a perfect drink for warm days and can be whipped together quickly. You can use any plain curd or yogurt to make this spiced buttermilk or mattha. Traditionally, it is churned with wooden handcrafted churner but even blender perfectly does the job. I enjoy aroma of freshly ground cumin seeds with little warmth of ginger in this refreshing drink. And often love to make this drink during summer. Serve it at room temperature or chill; either ways you are definitely going to enjoy it.
1 cup yogurt
1 cup water
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 small green chilli
1 inch long ginger piece
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt as per taste
Fresh green coriander
How to make :
This is super quick and easy drink. First of all, gather required ingredients.
I prefer to remove seeds from green chilli to tone down its spiciness.
Chop ginger and chilli into small pieces; then roughly crush them along with cumin seeds and salt using mortar and pestle. You can totally skip this step and directly grind everything along with yogurt. But I prefer to crush them first so that it can be easily ground in blender and combines very well with yogurt.
Take a blender jar and tip everything into it. ie, yogurt, water, sugar, salt & crushed cumin-chilli-ginger paste.
Blend everything together just for few seconds or until it is well combined. You’ll get wonderful froth over the top.
Ensure ginger, cumin and chilli are crushed properly; as you won’t like the big chunks in the drink.
Adjust sugar and salt as per the taste.
Mattha or Buttermilk is ready.
Store it in the refrigerator to chill. You can serve it with fresh chopped coriander and some optional ice cubes.
I am hoping you enjoyed this easy Indian summer drink and would love to give it a try. You may also like my other recipes; so click here.
Your feedback is valuable; so if there are any suggestions for me, do let me know in comments.
As always thanks for stopping by and reading this post; do like, share and subscribe to my blog.
Mattha | Indian spiced buttermilk
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 no green chilli small
- 1 inch long ginger
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- fresh green coriander for garnish
- First of all, gather required ingredients.
- Chop ginger and chilli into small pieces; then roughly crush them along with cumin seeds and salt using mortar and pestle.
- Take a blender jar and tip everything into it. ie, yogurt, water, sugar, salt & crushed cumin seeds-chilli-ginger paste.
- Blend everything together just for few seconds or until it is well combined. You'll get wonderful froth over the top.
- Adjust sugar and salt as per the taste.
- Mattha or Buttermilk is ready.
- You can serve it with fresh chopped coriander and some optional ice cubes.
- You can adjust the consistency of buttermilk.
- Remove chilli seeds to tone down spiciness.
- You can replace cumin seeds with cumin powder. But I would recommend to use freshly ground cumin.
- Store it in the refrigerator before serving or serve immediately with ice cubes.